Re: one other big mysql->postgresql item

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: George Johnson <gjohnson(at)jdsc(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: one other big mysql->postgresql item
Date: 2000-12-12 13:53:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, George Johnson wrote:

> In my two emails, I'm not trying to justify the horrific SQL coding habits
> of MySQL users, but presenting some of myriad user questions that might
> possibly pound the lists if you have an influx of new MySQL-converting
> users.
>
> Does that make sense? <grin>
> I think one thing one'd have to do is separate oneself from the
> philosophical/theoretical "bad SQL/good SQL" and think punch-clock. Sorta
> like Java is built to be a punch-clock language -- production grade, no new
> 'stuff'. PRACTICALLY speaking, of course :)

This is why having a guide on porting applications between the two is a
good idea, especially if we can stay away from philosophical/religious
wars and present the documentation pragmatically.

-- Brett

http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it. Geniuses remove it.
-- Perlis's Programming Proverb #58, SIGPLAN Notices, Sept. 1982