Re: Stats Collector Error 7.4beta1 and 7.4beta2

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, akavan(at)cox(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stats Collector Error 7.4beta1 and 7.4beta2
Date: 2003-09-04 08:34:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net> writes:
> > > ... Initially I saw an error in the logs about an IPv6 address
> > > error but after I recompiled everthing with a simple ./configure
> > > --prefix=/home/user/somethingelse/ I didn't get the IPv6 error in the
> > > logs anymore.
> >
> > Hm. Could it be an IPv6 issue --- that is, the stats collector is alive
> > and faithfully listening on some UDP port, but it's not the same port
> > the backends try to send to? Given the discussion over the past couple
> > of days about bizarre interpretations of loopback addresses in
> > pg_hba.conf, I could sure believe there's some similar kind of issue for
> > the stats collector.
>
> Doesn't the stats collector use unix domain sockets, not IP?

Nup.

for (addr = addrs; addr; addr = addr->ai_next)
{
#ifdef HAVE_UNIX_SOCKETS
/* Ignore AF_UNIX sockets, if any are returned. */
if (addr->ai_family == AF_UNIX)
continue;
#endif
if ((pgStatSock = socket(addr->ai_family, SOCK_DGRAM, 0)) >= 0)
break;
}

I thing I haven't seen asked: is there a packet filter blocking
local<->local UDP traffic by any chance?

Thanks,

Gavin