Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jason Earl <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date: 2003-06-23 20:29:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Dann Corbit wrote:

> [...]

How about the one that doesn't run tests in order to show how much better it is
than the competition but to actually test operation? In other words Vendor B
has an interest in having the tests pass, what gives you the confidence it just
hasn't listed the ones that fail and that the tests that do pass are not just
testing something vendor B wants to show it can do?

> > Real world example: We run Crystal Reports Enterprise
> > edition where I
> > work. It's tested thouroughly (supposedly) and has all kinds of QA.
> > However, getting it to work right and stay up is a nightmare.
> > It's taken
> > them almost a year to get around to testing against the OpenLDAP LDAP
> > server we use. The box said "LDAP V3 compliant" and they
> > assured us that
> > it was. Well, it doesn't work with our LDAP V3 compliant
> > LDAP server at
> > all, and the problem is something they can't fix for months
> > because it
> > doesn't fit into their test cycle.
> >

> > Real world example: Postgresql aggregates in subselects.
> > Someone found a bug in subselects in Postgresql with inner
> > references to
> > outter aggregates. The postgresql team delivered a patch in
> > less than a
> > week. User tested it and it works.
> >
> > I'm not against testing and all, but as one of the many beta
> > testers for
> > Postgresql, I do feel a bit insulted by your attitude that only a
> > cohesive, organized testing effort can result in a reliable product.
>
> Let me rephrase it:
> "Only a cohesive, organized testing effort can result in a product that
> is proven reliable."
>
> Without such an effort, it is only an educated guess as to whether the
> product is reliable or not. The data is the most valuable software
> component in an organization. It is worth more than the hardware and it
> is worth more than the software. If you are going to trust one billion
> dollars worth of corporate data on a software system, you ought to
> ensure that the system has been carefully tested. I don't think that is
> just an opinion. It's simply common sense.

So you've never worked on a project where the data is of high value, since in
those circumstances the customer is always going to apply their own acceptance
testing anyway. If you think that doesn't happen you try sitting through 2
solid days of Y2k testing on _one_ system and tell me customers never do their
own testing.

> Therefore, I am going to stop harping on it.

But there is no need to, as has been mentioned before, if the testing is not
upto your level of testing submit something that makes it so. Having said that
I do believe you mentioned that you didn't have the time to create something
but you would be happy to test it, i.e. test the test.

--
Nigel J. Andrews