Re: Hi,

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Deepa <kdeepa(at)midascomm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hi,
Date: 2003-02-13 13:58:23
Lists: pgsql-general

We're going to need more information as:

Hard disk: *shrug* 20GB may be but it's not partitioned that way
Memory: 96MB
Processor: Celeron 333MHz
Swap: probably

OS: FreeBSD 3.3
PostgreSQL: 7.2.3
Tested via: psql

aca=> select count(1) from chat_post;
count
---------
1285937
(1 row)

aca=> explain analyze select * from chat_post where session_id = 2700::smallint and post_number = 265::smallint;
NOTICE: QUERY PLAN:

Index Scan using chat_post_pkey on chat_post (cost=0.00..5.27 rows=1 width=46) (actual time=53.72..53.72 rows=0 loops=1)
Total runtime: 54.10 msec

aca=> \d chat_post
Table "chat_post"
Column | Type | Modifiers
-------------+--------------------------+-----------
session_id | smallint | not null
poster_id | smallint | not null
time | timestamp with time zone | not null
post_number | smallint | not null
fts | txtidx |
Primary key: chat_post_pkey

aca=> \d chat_post_pkey
Index "chat_post_pkey"
Column | Type
session_id | smallint
post_number | smallint
unique btree (primary key)

Note, the cast to the correct data type in the where. The session ids are more
or less uniformly distributed between 1 and 2750 are increase as data is added.

I didn't hang around and time the select that counted the rows it takes that
long.

--
Nigel Andrews