Re: Perl DBI and placeheld values

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: codeWarrior <gpatnude(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Perl DBI and placeheld values
Date: 2003-02-02 10:46:48
Lists: pgsql-general

First, I've not managed to keep up with the traffic this week so I'm only just
getting around ot seeing some messages, plus an upstream network fault had me
offline all morning the other day and that always plays havoc with email
delivery from the lower priority servers.

However, I see nothing wrong with using timestamp to hold a timestamp. That's
what it's there for. However, I do see your argument that if it's not needed as
a timestamp but merely to hold a representation of a timestamp that someone has
entered then there's nothing lost storing it as a text type. That's fine if you
know that that is all you need from the column but what about if you want to
see how many widgets are expected to delivered by suppliers next month?

In short, a timestamp is a timestamp, it's not just there for recording
now() in a 'created at' or 'updated at' column.

Interesting point about epoch, which I assume your compatibility remark is
meaning, though. Given the result of time() system call should this always be
run through localtime()/gmtime() etc. to place into a textual representation
postgres understands before handing it over? I've seen on the list, and I
believe used myself, sql which gives the server time since epoch and let's it
determine the value of a timestamp from that.

BTW, thanks for bearing with me on this not so postgres specific question I
asked.

--
Nigel Andrews