Re: CREATE TEMP TABLE .... ON COMMIT

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE TEMP TABLE .... ON COMMIT
Date: 2002-08-09 23:17:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> > template1=# create temp table a (a int) on commit drop;
> > ERROR: You must be inside a transaction to use ON COMMIT
>
> Surely that's only for ON COMMIT DROP, if you intend to offer the
> others?

I should have provided details of this in the email. SQL99 details the
baviour as follows:

If TEMPORARY is specified and ON COMMIT is omitted, then ON COMMIT
DELETE ROWS is implicit

This might give users a bit of a surprise so the effective behaviour is ON
COMMIT PRESERVE ROWS.

As for your question (and, perhaps, SQL99) I don't seen how it makes any
sense to specify ON COMMIT outside of a transaction block.

> regards, tom lane

Gavin