Re: Proposal: stand-alone composite types

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Joe Conway" <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: stand-alone composite types
Date: 2002-08-09 23:18:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Actually, the second looks a lot more natural to me. As in most
programming languages, you define the type/class first, and then you can
use the type/class as an object.

Further, I don't want to have to remember the implementation details,
unless I need to dig into them.
So:

CREATE TYPE locator AS (First_Name varchar, Last_Name varchar, City
varchar, State_Province char(2), Country varchar);

CREATE FUNCTION CustomerList(varchar specification) RETURNS SETOF
locator;

Seems far more natural and convenient to me.