Re: [HACKERS] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS

From: Ralph Graulich <maillist(at)shauny(dot)de>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: mark Kirkwood <markir(at)slingshot(dot)co(dot)nz>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS
Date: 2002-08-08 23:18:51
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi,

just my two cents worth: I like having the files sized in a way I can
handle them easily with any UNIX tool on nearly any system. No matter
wether I want to cp, tar, dump, dd, cat or gzip the file: Just keep it at
a maximum size below any limits, handy for handling.

For example, Oracle suggests it somewhere in their documentation, to keep
datafiles at a reasonable size, e.g. 1 GB. Seems right to me, never had
any problems with it.

Kind regards
... Ralph ...