Re: PL/Python build

From: Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/Python build
Date: 2001-05-09 23:02:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > OK, I have loaded PL/Python into CVS. The problem is that the Makefile
> > > does not work with our build system. It assumes someone is
> > > hand-configuring the Makefile for python versions and paths.
> >
> > Might be rather complex. I don't want more of the third party generated
> > makefiles in our build system because it messes up many things. As long
> > as it's documented how to build it we can work with it for now.
>
> I disabled the plPython Makefile until we can deal with it:
>
> $ gmake
> Disabled until merged into our Makefile system, bjm 2001-05-09

One of the small problems of pl/python is going to similar to pl/perl...
many linux distro's don't come with a shared object library for python,
but come w/a static library only.

pl/python will work w/a static library (if you uncomment the lines in the
makefile to link all the modules against it directly); we can add a line
to the faq about where packages, if any, are for python.so.

--
Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>