Re: Re: disable wal

From: Anuradha Ratnaweera <anuradha(at)gnu(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Oliver Vecernik <vecernik(at)aon(dot)at>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: disable wal
Date: 2001-05-01 19:24:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

I understand that that WAL is an integral part of 7.1 and "disabling" is
not possible. I also don't want to switch back to 7.0 becuse I _DO_ need
the new features.

If I don't care for reliability (for reasons I outlined earlier in this
thread), are there other parameters I can set to optimize for speed, such
as wal_sync_method? I already have turned off fsync and log_connections. I
can't turn on silent mode, because this machine is used for all testing
purposes and messages are useful.

Also, it is possible to avoid postgresql from trying to force the OS to
write data to the disk, so that WAL writes will be in disk cache for some
time?

Anuradha