Re: Re: BETWEEN clause

From: Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
To: Paul Tomblin <ptomblin(at)xcski(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: BETWEEN clause
Date: 2001-04-24 22:22:10
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Paul Tomblin wrote:

> Quoting Bruce Momjian (pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us):
> >
> > If someone can think of a clearer way to present it, we are all ears.
>
> Speaking for myself, the problem isn't that the information in \? isn't
> helpful, it's that I was expecting something more like "SHOW TABLE" or
> "DESCRIBE" which is how it's done on the previous couple of SQL dbmses
> I've used.

The challenge is that, for some databases, the database server itself
parses these commands, where, for PG, \d is turned into perfectly normal
PG queries to the system catalogs. (psql -E will let you see this
happening.)

I like our way much better -- once you've learned a bit about the system
tables, you can use them in any query, etc. However, many new users do try
DESCRIBE, etc.

Would it be worthwhile for psql / PG parser to notice these attempts and
bleat out some help? It doesn't quite seem worthwhile to me, but perhaps
others think it is.

--
Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>