Re: SV: MySQL and PostgreSQL speed compare

From: "Dominic J(dot) Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org>
To: Jarmo Paavilainen <netletter(at)comder(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SV: MySQL and PostgreSQL speed compare
Date: 2000-12-29 20:39:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Jarmo Paavilainen wrote:

> > Just curious, what kind of tables did you set up in MySQL? My
>
> Ehh... there are more than one kind... I did not know. Still with
> transactions on PostgreSQL (unsafe method?) MySQL was 2 times as fast as
> PostgreSQL. I will check this out, and return to this list with the results.

From my findings, there are at least 5 different types of tables in mysql
- DBD (Berkeley DB), HEAP, ISAM, MERGE and MyISAM. (Ned did mention
earlier today/yesterday that they implemented row-level locking with adds
(yet) another table type?). Onlt BDB tables support transactions.

> Its a question of a compromising between speed and "integrity". *I think*
> PostgreSQL should and could lower their "integrity" a bit (15 times slower).

I would rather have the integrity that PostgreSQL has, than the speed that
MySQL claims to have.

--
Dominic J. Eidson
"Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli