SV: MySQL and PostgreSQL speed compare

From: "Jarmo Paavilainen" <netletter(at)comder(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SV: MySQL and PostgreSQL speed compare
Date: 2000-12-29 14:45:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

> Just curious, what kind of tables did you set up in MySQL? My

Ehh... there are more than one kind... I did not know. Still with
transactions on PostgreSQL (unsafe method?) MySQL was 2 times as fast as
PostgreSQL. I will check this out, and return to this list with the results.

> tables, then we're just back at the same old "speed versus data
> integrity" flame war that has always been the base of the
> MySQL/Postgres comparison.

Its a question of a compromising between speed and "integrity". *I think*
PostgreSQL should and could lower their "integrity" a bit (15 times slower).

> Of course, if they *were* Berkeley tables and you still got those
> results, then we'll need to dig a little deeper ;-)

I do not know, but I will find out.

// Jarmo