textcat() and ODBC driver

From: Cedar Cox <cedarc(at)visionforisrael(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: textcat() and ODBC driver
Date: 2000-12-27 09:35:49
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Several months ago I mailed the list about a problem of a query from MS
Access failing through the ODBC driver. Somehow I can't seem to remember
how to reproduce this error, but given a input of:

SELECT FirstName & ' ' & LastName FROM tblContacts;

the odbc driver translates to something like:

SELECT textcat(({fn concat(FirstName ,' ' )) ,LastName )})....

The response I got was that the odbc code is not smart enough to nest
textcat functions. A recent discovery ;) brings me to this question, Why
is textcat being used? Why not just use the || operator? Unless there's
something I don't know it seems to be a direct replacement for the &
operator in Access/VB. Thoughts? Someone willing to change it?

-Cedar