termcap and curses

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: termcap and curses
Date: 2000-11-15 19:30:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

So Sun has pulled another one on us. Not sure which versions of Solaris
this affects, but some have libncurses and libtermcap with overlapping
symbols of different sizes. This leads to a bunch of complaints every
time 'ld' is run; perhaps it could also lead to busted executables.

(Via a complex chain of events this also causes the AC_HEADER_STDC in
7.0*'s configure to fail, which is the underlying cause of the regular bug
reports about something from stdarg.h (va_xxx) undefined.)

To start with, what do we need libtermcap and libcurses for? Readline
requires one or the other, but not both. Anything else?

I'm not going to do anything about this now, but if we get more of these
it'd be good to be prepared.