Re: Need a debugging tip or two

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman(at)pacbell(dot)net>
Cc: PGSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need a debugging tip or two
Date: 2000-11-07 20:08:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin O'Gorman writes:

> In any event when I start the backend standalone (i.e. running
> the 'postgres -D ....' command, it seems I have to be the root
> or postgres root user because of file permissions.

Yup.

> But I want access to the database of my normal username, which is
> 'kevin'.

postgres [options] dbname

> Questions: have I identified the problem right? Is that why I
> can't see my tables? If so, is there a way to change databases,
> given that the \ commands don't work in the backend?

Not sure when a \ command *changed* a database last time.

> Or am I just going at this all wrong in some way?

There's probably little reason to start a backend standalone. If you want
to do stock-of-the-trade debugging you simply start a postmaster, then
psql (or whatever floats your boat), and attach gdb to the resulting
backend process.