CFLAGS vs CPPFLAGS, or The future of `make depend'

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: CFLAGS vs CPPFLAGS, or The future of `make depend'
Date: 2000-09-08 17:19:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Targets of the form

depend dep:
$(CC) -MM $(CFLAGS) *.c >depend

are wrong, there should be at least a $(CPPFLAGS) in there. In fact, the
whole CPPFLAGS vs CFLAGS issue is completely messed up, in case you ever
wondered why you get duplicate `-I' options on the compile line.

Now the variable naming issue I want to fix, but I wonder whether it's
worth fixing the `depend' targets. After all, they have been replaced by
something better now. To be clear: fixing the variable naming without
fixing the depend targets would break the depend targets, it's just a
decision about the amount of work.

Any comments?