Re: Week of the Year?

From: John McKown <jmckown(at)prodigy(dot)net>
To: David Lloyd-Jones <david(dot)lloyd-jones(at)attcanada(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Week of the Year?
Date: 2000-08-12 02:55:05
Lists: pgsql-sql

Try using the function date_part such as:

select date_part('week',now());

"and the days that are in that week" I guess want to answer a question
such as:
Given a date, what is first date in that same week, and what is the last
date in that week. There are a couple of approaches to this. My first was:

select
to_date(date_part('year',now()),'YYYY')+(7*date_part('week',now()));

and the above +6 to the the last day of the week. Another approach for
this same question is much simplier (if the question is indeed what you
are asking)

select now()-date_part('dow',now());

This last select gives the Sunday for the current week. To get the
Saturday, simply:

select now()-date_part('dow',now())+6;

Of course, replace the now() with whatever contains the date or timestamp.

John McKown