PHP and PostgreSQL (was: Unions in views)

From: Federico Sevilla III <jijo(at)i-manila(dot)com(dot)ph>
Subject: PHP and PostgreSQL (was: Unions in views)
Date: 2000-08-03 18:10:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000 at 13:46, Robert D. Nelson wrote:
>We have used the same PHP module before and after upgrading from
>Postgres 6.5.3 to 7.0.2, under Red Hat 6.2. We haven't upgraded to PHP4
>because we like to stick with RPM's. The latest apache, php, and
>php-postgres modules on the RH6.2 cd, plus postgres from postgres.org,
>are the versions we're using.

Hmm, interesting. There must be a difference between the behavior of PHP3
RPMs of the standard RH6.2 distro and the PHP4 RPMs from Troels Arvin as
far as PostgreSQL are concerned, then. In his download page (with pretty
comprehensive PHP4 RPMs, if you're interested you can check out
<http://fsr.ku.dk/people/troels/rpms/php/>) he mentions that his
particular RPMs are built for PostgreSQL 6.x, users of PostgreSQL 7.x are
directed to another site, with RPMs built with the same SPEC file, but are
built against the postgresql-devel-7.0.2 RPMs. Just thought I'd mention
it.

BTW, I'm currently checking out PHP 4.0.1pl2. Having some difficulty
getting Horde IMP to work. I'm using the 2.2-pre13 tarballs. I just
downloaded the pre14 tarballs, and will check it again tomorrow, perhaps.
I'm using PostgreSQL as the database backend for the preferences and
addresses.

I am planning some other development on the PHP and PostgreSQL line, aside
from getting this Horde IMP installation working. I was thinking of a
read-and-write front-end for a very simple 201 database via the web. I'll
be working via SSL of course, and will be attempting to use PHP4's session
management capabilities (I could use PHPlib, too, I'll see) for the
retention of the user's login and password to be used to connect to the
PostgreSQL database backend. Has anyone worked with projects like this
using PHP and PostgreSQL? I was wondering if there are any major problems
I should look out for, or if PHP and PostgreSQL generally work well, given
decent PHP code and configuration, of course.

I will also be implementing a Micro$oft Access 97 front-end for this same
database. So far Access via PostgreSQL ODBC v6.50.0000 has been doing
okay, with the optimization and read-write access enabled. Aside from
what's on the configuration HTML page, are there any major problems using
PostgreSQL ODBC v6.50.000 and PostgreSQL 7.0.2 that some members of the
list might want me to know?

Apologies for the long post, and thanks in advance. (BTW, please don't cc
me personally anymore for replies, I get the messages on the list,
anyway). :)

--> Jijo :-)

--
Federico Sevilla III
Network Administrator

THE LEATHER COLLECTION, INC.
#15 Don Mariano Lim Industrial Complex, Alabang-Zapote Road
beside Toyota - Alabang, Las Pinas City 1740 PHILIPPINES

Ofc: +63.2.842.2261
Fax: +63.2.842.2204
Apt: +63.2.523.8251 to 64 (loc 601)
Cel: +63.919.550.4216