Re: Makefile.global is kind of a pain

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Makefile.global is kind of a pain
Date: 2000-06-22 22:36:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> Awhile back I was complaining that configure was dumping its results
> into too many files already.

If you're saying that configure should ideally only substitute things into
Makefile.global and nowhere else then we're never going to have separate
build directories, unless you know something that I don't. Every
subdirectory where you build anything at all needs to have a Makefile.in.
(Hint: How else will the build tree be created? How will the build tree
find the source tree?) Yes, that will eventually make config.status run
four times longer than it does now but that's the price to pay. If we
don't want to do that then it'd be best that I know now.

(Now that I spelled this out, I'm not sure myself whether that's worth it.
Maybe we should forget about it and get rid of all *.in. It would
certainly make my job easier.)

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala