Re: Thoughts on multiple simultaneous code page support

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Cc: randall(at)nls(dot)net, t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on multiple simultaneous code page support
Date: 2000-06-22 22:34:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Well, to me at least the term character set does not define a mapping or encoding. It just specifies a list of characters and their numeric representations or mappings not included.
> >
> > To say "character set mapping" or "character set encoding" might be more complete. Though I tend to use the term "code page" because that's what I've heard the most down thru the years.

I think the problem with "code page" is it only mentions about
character sets recognized by M$. For example, one of a KANJI character
sets called "JIS X 0212" is in the standard ISO 2022, but not in "code
page."

> > If someone here wants to suggest a particular terminology to use I'd
> > be happy to adopt it in this list.

The term "character set" defined in ISO 2022 definitely does not
define a mapping or encoding as Randall said. But in SQL9x, it
includes "a list of characters" (called "repertory") and an encoding
(called "form of use"). I guess we could agree that we discuss how to
implement SQL9x in this list. If so, it would be more natural to use
the term "character set" as defined in SQL9x, rather than "code page",
no?

> codepages are used by the samba folks also, if this helps any ... I never
> knew what it meant before, but now that I do, makes perfect sense ...

That's because samba only handles character sets defined by M$.
--
Tatsuo Ishii