Re: Re: Status on 7.0

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Jan Wieck <jwieck(at)debis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Status on 7.0
Date: 2000-06-03 22:44:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian writes:

> > istm that pg_dump could benefit greatly if it translated internal
> > Postgres type names to the SQL92-standard names. For example, int4 ->
> > integer, int8 -> bigint, etc. This would be analogous to the
> > translation we do when parsing queries in the backend, converting
> > (e.g.) integer -> int4.

I once proposed to create a function `format_type' or some such which
would take an internal type name and a modifier and format it to some
canonical representation. I recall that was well received and I'm still
interested in that, but I'd let the function manager changes die down
first.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala