Re: TOAST (was: BLOB)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TOAST (was: BLOB)
Date: 2000-04-21 22:04:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

Jan Wieck writes:

> I just successfully stored the entire PG sources (~10M) in
> one table. Stored are all 936 .[chyl] files.

Cool, then we can get rid of CVS. :-)

> clob is a user defined, very simple varsize datatype, I
> created for testing.

Keep it, it's SQL3.

> Seems there's something wrong in our deadlock detection
> algorithm.

Our deadlock detection "algorithm" is that when nothing happens for 1 sec
then that's a deadlock. Increasing that number might make those messages
go away but that's still far from an algorithm, of course.

> I'll need alot of help to make all our existing types
> toastable,

I'm wondering how transparent all of this will be. What is involved in
making existing types toastable? How does that affect user defined
datatypes now and in the future?

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala