Re: [HACKERS] New install doc

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] New install doc
Date: 2000-01-24 23:50:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2000-01-22, Vince Vielhaber mentioned:

> >> # chown -R postgres:postgres /usr/local/pgsql
> >>
> >> that should be the same on most systems with perhaps the exception of the
> >> colon. Anyway it'll make sure that all the files have the correct owners.

> The reason I mentioned it is on one install where I used:
>
> install -u postgres -g postgres
>
> all of the directories were created ug root:wheel and the files in them
> were ug postgres:postgres so I had to go back one and do the above chown.
> PostgreSQL couldn't create databases.

Ha! If you try to subvert the make install logic then you're on your
own. The directories are created by a script called mkinstalldirs (which
is used by the rest of the world as well) and that doesn't know about
permissions. If you would like this to work, then how about patching up
mkinstalldirs? You'll find it in the src dir, it's a really simple thingy.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala