Re: [HACKERS] New psql startup banner

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] New psql startup banner
Date: 1999-10-22 00:36:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Oct 20, Bruce Momjian mentioned:

> psql now shows new text on startup. The old one just looked bad.
> Hope the psql upgrader can merge these changes in. I know we weren't
> supposed to touch psql, but I suspect he is not touching the banner.

Hah!

$ ./psql template1
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive query shell.
(Please type \copyright to see the distribution terms of PostgreSQL.)
PostgreSQL 6.5.2 on i586-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by egcs

Type \h for help with SQL commands,
\? for help on internal slash commands,
\q to quit,
\g or terminate with semicolon to execute query.
template1=> \copyright
memory clobbered before allocated blockAborted (core dumped)

Oops! :)

Okay, I guess the motivation behind this was the question "Where is that
damn COPYRIGHT file?", or maybe I've just been reading the appendix to the
GPL too often.

Anyway, I guess I'll let the balance of the suggestions apply.

-Peter

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders vaeg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala