Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha
Date: 1999-07-29 16:30:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > I'm disappointed that we won't have a set of patches for v6.5.1. Is
> > there any possibility of putting these patches into our REL6_5_PATCHES
> > branch to prepare for a v6.5.2 release? What in the current set of
> > patches would make this difficult? I believe that Tom Lane has been
> > pretty good about committing to that branch, and I don't know what
> > else might be missing.
>
> OK, I don't want Thomas disappointed. We have the changes for alignment
> I made, and some changes for optimization in certain places, and the
> Uncle George patch, and the removal of the bad comment in the template
> file.

Attached is a mini patch of the changes I made to the linux_alpha
template file. Review and use as you wish. Basically just sets -O2 flag
for CFLAGS and also forces the CPU variable to be alpha, so as not to
break the alpha specific makefile rules when the alpha processor is
get detected as an alphaev5, etc...
Otherwise, everything looks good!

> My recommendation(hold on to your seats) is to take the current cvs
> tree, patch it with Uncle George's patches and any others needed, and
> release a 6.5.2 release that addresses alpha. We can back-patch 6.5.2,
> but there is really no reason to do that. There is really nothing
> 'special' in the current tree. In fact, the most risky of them are the
> alpha ones, and since that is what we are trying to fix, we are not
> adding any new problems to the code.

While my opinion might not matter that much (not being a major
pgsql developer), I second this idea! By the end of the day I will have
taken the 'alpha' patched version of today's snapshot, and
compiled/regressed on Linux/Intel, Solaris/Sparc, and maybe Linux/Sparc.
That should give us a good idea if the alpha patches are going to break
anything on other platforms (hopefully not).
Once you have a 6.5.2 release source tree ready for download (i.e.
just before public announcement/distribution), let me know and I will run
it through my systems (Alpha, Intel, and Sparc) just to double check.
Worst case, Linux/Alpha uses 6.5.2 and everyone else (other
platforms) uses 6.5.1 until the next major release. This, while a bit
confusing/annoying, would not be a show stopper. :)

> > I've been trying to get things together so we can have a viable RPM
> > distribution of Postgres for Alphas. RedHat is interested, and I think
> > that it would help the Postgres cause. Does anyone else have this
> > specific interest, or should we just have them wait another 4 months??
>
> That is a long time.

Hence the reason we should try and get an easy to
use/compile/package version of pgsql for Linux/Alpha out the door as soon
as reasonably possible. That is, one with out patches, it just compiles
out of the box (for Linux/Alpha) at leat.
TTYL.

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." |
| --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV) |
| Ryan Kirkpatrick | Boulder, Colorado | rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu |
| http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/ |

Attachment Content-Type Size
mini.alpha.patch text/plain 354 bytes