Re: Redhat 7 and PgSQL

From: bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net
To: Efrain Caro <betsemes(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>, Jeff Hoffmann <jeff(at)propertykey(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Redhat 7 and PgSQL
Date: 2000-09-29 16:14:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Efrain Caro wrote:

> So we can say that we can upgrade, at least in theory, but that's not the
> official policy?

Well, I don't know about 'policy', but yes, you can upgrade PostgreSQL,
you just need to dump your data first (which you should do anyway to
backup -- never upgrade without backing up first!), install the upgrade by
whatever method, do the initdb, then reload your data. It's a minor PITA,
but it's also safe -- if you are doing a direct upgrade and it crashes or
something else really bad happens, your database could get severely
screwed. And then you're screwed.

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.chapelperilous.net
Hoare's Law of Large Problems:
Inside every large problem is a small problem struggling to get out.