Re: 4 billion record limit?

From: "Martin A(dot) Marques" <martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Paul Caskey <paul(at)nmxs(dot)com>, Postgres Users <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 4 billion record limit?
Date: 2000-07-28 10:36:50
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > FWIW, I checked into MySQL, and as far as I can tell, they have nothing
> > like this implicit 4 billion transactional "limit". So maybe competitive
> > spirit will drive the postgres hackers to fix this problem sooner than
> > later. ;-)
>
> We have *never* had a report of someone pushing this 4GB limit, and
> theoretical problems usually go into the long-term development plan, not
> in the "OHMYGODITSBROKEN" list.

I'm not sure about MySQL not haveing the 4 Billion limit. As far as I
know, Informix has (in it's 7.x versions) the 4 billion limit with the
INTEGERS.
Informix 9.x has added other data types, like an 8 byte INTEGER.
Working on 64bit Solaris, but don't know which is the real limit.
Maybe some day I'm make a small program to see if I can fill the column.
;-)

Saludos... ;-)

"And I'm happy, because you make me feel good, about me." - Melvin Udall
Martín Marqués email: martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar
Santa Fe - Argentina http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar