Re: Vacuum problem in my system ?

From: Rostislav Opocensky <orbis(at)pictus(dot)org>
To: Fabrice Scemama <fabrices(at)ximmo(dot)ftd(dot)fr>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vacuum problem in my system ?
Date: 2000-06-06 12:11:28
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Fabrice Scemama wrote:

> No core dump could be found within the data/base/*
> directories. The cron is executed by user root,
> but on my system root is a PostgreSQL superuser.

Well, the problem here might be in the fact that root usually has its
ulimit -c (the maximum size of core files created) set to 0. This
effectively disables core dumping. You can check this by issuing

ulimit -c

as root. Setting it to a reasonably large size via

ulimit -c 1000000

just before the vacuumdb command should resolve it. Running postmaster as
root is a dangerous idea from a security point of view, but it's well
documented so you probably know what you are doing ;-)

Orbis

--
Rostislav Opocensky <orbis(at)pictus(dot)org> <orbis(at)unreal(dot)cz> +420 411 825144
Unreal Technology sro., Dobrin 118, 41301 Roudnice n. L. +420 411 825111