Re: [GENERAL] Studying

From: Thomas Good <tomg(at)admin(dot)nrnet(dot)org>
To: Ken Gunderson <webweaver(at)rmci(dot)net>
Cc: John Henderson <jrh(at)is(dot)com(dot)fj>, pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Studying
Date: 1999-10-29 13:00:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Ken Gunderson wrote:

> At 01:17 PM 10/29/99 +1200, John Henderson wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I am in need of a great SQL reference that is readable by a beginner but is
> >also comprehensive, any recommendations? Do you think O'Reilly is best? I
> >have seen others recommended?
> >
> >I have pretty much exhausted the online documentation/FAQ/tutorials etc.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >John Henderson
>
> The _Practical SQL Handbook_ by Bowman, et.al. is well respected and
> frequently recommended as a good SQL intro for beginners. This will not
> give you DB specific info though. I would stay away from O'Reilly on this
> one.
>
> Ciao-- Ken
> http://www.y2know.org/safari

And I never weary of touting the virtue of the `LAN TIMES Guide to SQL'
by Groff and Weinberg. I find it superior to every other tome I've read.
It includes very handy charts. The data type comparison chart includes
Ingres whose data types match PG for the most part. I ripped mine out
and laminated it. Very useful.

For performance tuning I recommend Guy Harrison's `SQL Performance Tuning'.
Although it is Oracle specific the concepts (e.g., sequences) apply.

Once you get the rudiments of SQL, anything by Joe Celko is usually helpful
for headier topics. I like `SQL for Smarties', even the parts that elude
me. ;-)

Cheers,
Tom

------- North Richmond Community Mental Health Center -------

Thomas Good MIS Coordinator
Vital Signs: tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
Phone: 718-354-5528
Fax: 718-354-5056

/* Member: Computer Professionals For Social Responsibility */