Re: [HACKERS] tables > 1 gig

From: Ole Gjerde <gjerde(at)icebox(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] tables > 1 gig
Date: 1999-06-18 18:25:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
[snip - mdtruncate patch]

While talking about this whole issue, there is one piece missing.
Currently there is no way to dump a database/table over 2 GB.
When it hits the 2GB OS limit, it just silently stops and gives no
indication that it didn't finish.

It's not a problem for me yet, but I'm getting very close. I have one
database with 3 tables over 2GB(in postgres space), but they still come
out under 2GB after a dump. I can't do a pg_dump on the whole database
however, which would be very nice.

I suppose it wouldn't be overly hard to have pg_dump/pg_dumpall do
something similar to what postgres does with segments. I haven't looked
at it yet however, so I can't say for sure.

Comments?

Ole Gjerde