Re: any proper benchmark scripts?

From: Thomas Good <tomg(at)admin(dot)nrnet(dot)org>
To: Clayton Cottingham aka drfrog <drfrog(at)smartt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: any proper benchmark scripts?
Date: 2001-04-19 12:24:06
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 18 Apr 2001, Clayton Cottingham aka drfrog wrote:

> i will recomp both the newest postgresql and mysql
> not using any optimizing techs at all i'll post the
> config scripts i use

Hiya Clayton,

Try it with a few hundred thousand tuples in a good size table with
say 300 users banging on the box. MySQL is a nice substitute for
Access but that's about it.

Not to mention missing features: views and foreign keys for
example...and have a look at the API...yuck. I always hear people
complain (MySQL fans) about Pg not having DROP COLUMN in its SQL
implementation. To me a VIEW is slightly more important. ;-)

(Trying hard not to be obnoxious here but failing. Comparing MySQL
to Pg is like comparing windows to BSD...and I just can't apologise
for calling it like I see it!)

Cheers!
Tom (the most obnoxious man in Staten Island?)

SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
Database Administrator Phone: 718-354-5528
Staten Island Region Mobile: 917-282-7359