Re: [SQL] SQL Script Question

From: Kovacs Zoltan Sandor <tip(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu>
To: Carolyn Wong <carolyn(at)kss(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] SQL Script Question
Date: 2000-02-23 12:24:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

> if <table exists>
> drop table xxx;
>
> How can i write this 'if' condition? Or are there any other ways to
> check this??

This SELECT tells you whether a table exists or not:

SELECT tablename FROM pg_tables WHERE tablename='searched_table_name';

With this you can check the condition. Then you may write a PLPGSQL
function which can decide if there was any found table with
searched_table_name or not, see the PLPGSQL example in the src/plpgsql
library.

Then you may call an SQL function (you should write it first) from the
PLPGSQL function which drops table. As I know, you cannot drop a table
inside a PLPGSQL function (only if you call an external SQL function).

I hope this helps. If not, ask for details.

Regards,
Zoltan