Misleading Error Message

From: Kristofer Munn <kmunn(at)munn(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Misleading Error Message
Date: 1999-05-16 04:10:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all. Was working tonight and ran into the following error. Doing a
union between two selects (to get around the lack of outer joins - hint
hint), I was getting the error:

ERROR: Each UNION clause must have the same number of columns

Upon examining the SQL statement in question, I verified that it did,
indeed, have the same number of columns. After some fiddling, I found the
actual problem was that I was doing an ORDER BY on a column which was not
being included in the two select statements. Unfortunately, the error
message wasn't pointing at that.

I'm not sure if this is just a simple change or implies other problems
with the parser but I thought I'd toss it out onto the pile.

Cya...

- K

Kristofer Munn * http://www.munn.com/~kmunn/ * ICQ# 352499 * AIM: KrMunn