Above 2G on a 32 bit architecture

From: MESZAROS Attila <tilla(at)chiara(dot)csoma(dot)elte(dot)hu>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Above 2G on a 32 bit architecture
Date: 1999-07-09 14:32:50
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hi,

I have a table exceeding the size of 2GB in version 6.4 on Linux x86.
When I try to do a select I just receive:
ERROR: cannot open segment 1 of relation entry

According to the 6th point in the postgresql-howto postgresql supports
larger, much larger databases than this size on even 32 bit architectures
with some performance penalty.

What have I missed?
(a fear that certain tables must be smaller than 2G...)
If this is true, is the only solution to buy a 64 bit architecture (sparc
or alfa?)

Attila