Re: [HACKERS] Re: UnixWare

From: Thomas Good <tomg(at)nrnet(dot)org>
To: Dmitry Samersoff <dms(at)wplus(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Merrill <andrew(at)thatch2(dot)compclass(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: UnixWare
Date: 1999-06-17 11:23:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Dmitry Samersoff wrote:

> On 17-Jun-99 Andrew Merrill wrote:
> > compile and run on SCO UnixWare 7, the current version.

> > I have not been able to compile PostgreSQL 6.5 (or any other version) on
> > UnixWare 2. The main problem seems to be that PostgreSQL uses alloca,
> > and I can't find the alloca.h header on my UnixWare 2 system.

Ouch! Wrong! I am running UnixWare 2.1.2 and PostgreSQL 6.3.2
with good effect. In my shop we are saddled with a legacy SCO box that
I will not be sinking any additional monies into. (We don't plan to
buy any other SCO products having already purchased enough to draw
a conclusion or two. ;-)

Anyway, rhetoric aside, here is my log on how I compiled using the
stock compiler. Many thanks to Bruce Momjian who walked me through this.

Andrew, you do have alloca.h on your UW 2.1.2. It's in /usr/ucblib.
You needed to tell the linker where to find it (see below).

Kak dela Dmitri, and good luck with this. Remember Bruce M is a valuable
resource and I will also try to help you as much as I am able before you
feel a need to throw money at SCO.

Dobri den (forgive fonetic Rooski! No cyrillic char set...),
Tom

/**** PostgreSQL Installation ***/

1) # useradd postgres
2) # mkdir /usr/local/pgsql
3) # mkdir /usr/src/pgsql
4) # chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql
5) # chown postgres /usr/src/pgsql
6) # chgrp other /usr/local/pgsql
7) # chgrp other /usr/src/pgsql
8) # /usr/local/bin/gunzip /usr/spool/uucppublic/postgres-6.3.2.tar.gz
9) # su - postgres
10) $ cd /usr/src/pgsql
11) $ tar xvf /usr/spool/uucppublic/postgres-6.3.2.tar
12) $ cd ./post*
13) $ cd ./src
14) $ cp configure configure.orig
15) $ vi configure... /TEMPLATE
change TEMPLATE=template/`uname -s | tr A-Z a-z`
to TEMPLATE=template/univel
16) $ gmake all >&make.log &
flex barfs: unable to locate /home/local/lib/flex.skel
FIX: download flex-2.3pl7.tar.Z
# /usr/local/bin/gunzip /var/spool/uucppublic/flex-2.3pl7.pkg.tar.Z
# tar xvf flex-2.3pl7.pkg.tar
# pkgadd -d `pwd`
# ln -sf /opt/bin/flex /usr/local/bin/flex
17) $ gmake all >&make.log &
bison barfs...
FIX: download bison-1.14.pkg.tar.Z
# /usr/local/bin/gunzip /var/spool/uucppublic/bison-1.14.pkg.tar.Z
# tar xvf bison-1.14.pkg.tar
# pkgadd -d `pwd`
# ln -sf /opt/bin/bison /usr/local/bin/bison
18) After a multitude of warnings, gmake barfs with:
Undefined symbol alloca in file bootstrap/SUBSYS.o
Searched libraries: # nm /usr/lib/*.so* | grep alloca
# nm /usr/lib/*.a* | grep alloca
# nm /usr/ccs/lib/*.so* | grep alloca
# nm /usr/ccs/lib/*.a* | grep alloca
# nm /usr/ucblib/*.so* | grep alloca
# nm /usr/ucblib/*.a* | grep alloca
FIX: tail make.log > fixer...edit to add calls to Berkeley libraries
( -L/usr/ucblib -lucb )

cd /usr/src/pgsql/postgresql-6.3.2/src/backend
cc -o postgres access/SUBSYS.o bootstrap/SUBSYS.o
catalog/SUBSYS.o commands/SUBSYS.o executor/SUBSYS.o
lib/SUBSYS.o libpq/SUBSYS.o main/SUBSYS.o nodes/SUBSYS.o
optimizer/SUBSYS.o parser/SUBSYS.o port/SUBSYS.o
postmaster/SUBSYS.o regex/SUBSYS.o rewrite/SUB
SYS.o storage/SUBSYS.o tcop/SUBSYS.o utils/SUBSYS.o
../utils/version.o -L/usr/ucblib -lucb -lgen -lcrypt -lld
-lnsl -lsocket -ldl -lm -ltermcap -lcurses -lc89 -lc89
-Wl,-Bexport
19) After compiling the backend, gmake all barfs when compiling ecpg:
Undefined first referenced
symbol in file
yyout y.tab.o
yylex y.tab.o
yyin ecpg.o
yytext y.tab.o
alloca y.tab.o
yylineno y.tab.o
lex_init ecpg.o
yyleng y.tab.o
UX:ld: ERROR: ecpg: fatal error: Symbol referencing errors.
No output written to ecpg
gmake[3]: *** [ecpg] Error 1
gmake[2]: *** [all] Error 2
gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 2
gmake: *** [all] Error 2
Searching all the library files (/usr/lib, /usr/ccs/lib and /usr/ucblib)
with # nm *.so* | grep $file (yy---, alloca and lex_init)
and # nm *.a* | grep $file (yy---, alloca and lex_init)
revealed that lex_init does not exist on this box.
FIX: comment ecpg out of the ./interfaces/Makefile
20) postgres user was unable to run initdb...
FIX: edit /etc/profile:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/pgsql/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
then: $ initdb --username=postgres
succeeded.
21) Attempting to fire up the server produced IpcMemoryCreate errors.
FIX: enlarge shared memory avail in the kernel...
# /etc/conf/bin/idtune SHMMAX 778240
# /etc/conf/bin/idbuild -B
22) Installed DBI::DBD in usual manner but perl is too old (5.003).
Downloading 5.004_04 from www.sco.com/skunkware/uw2/interp/perl/
23) Installed Perl 5.004_04 and reinstalled DBI::DBD
Error msg when trying to run a dbi script:
dynamic linker: /usr/bin/perl: symbol not found: strncasecmp
FIX: edit /usr/src/perl5/DBD*/Pg.xs, replacing strncasecmp with
strncmp --- rerun `make' & `make install'.

if (!strncmp(statement, "begin", 5) ||
!strncmp(statement, "end", 4) ||
!strncmp(statement, "commit", 6) ||
!strncmp(statement, "abort", 5) ||
!strncmp(statement, "rollback", 8) ) {
if (!strncmp(statement, "begin", 5) ||
!strncmp(statement, "end", 4) ||
!strncmp(statement, "commit", 6) ||
!strncmp(statement, "abort", 5) ||
!strncmp(statement, "rollback", 8) ) {

EOF

> I found another compiler under /udk/usr/ccs/bin, and try to use it,
> but I have lots of configure problems yet.
>
> PS:
> I'm completly new in UNIXWARE, sorry for some kind of stupidity in my
> questions ;-))
>

> ---
> Dmitry Samersoff, dms(at)wplus(dot)net, ICQ:3161705
> http://devnull.wplus.net
> * There will come soft rains ...

------- North Richmond Community Mental Health Center -------

Thomas Good MIS Coordinator
Vital Signs: tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
Phone: 718-354-5528
Fax: 718-354-5056

/* Member: Computer Professionals For Social Responsibility */