Re: [INTERFACES] jdbc driver compilation under linux

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Bartlomiej Papierski <bartek(at)amg(dot)net(dot)pl>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, peter(at)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] jdbc driver compilation under linux
Date: 1998-08-23 18:59:21
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

[tip: best to use peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk rather than my work's address, as I
may not get to read mail sent there - Peter]

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Bartlomiej Papierski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to compile JDBC interface for PostgreSQL 6.3 using JDK 1.1.6
> under Linux 2.0.34.
> I took JDBC sources from PostgreSQL 6.3 distribution.
> I also tried with earlier versions of JDK. The problem is that jar
> produces 'segmentation fault'.
>
> Here's the whole compilation dump:

[snip]

> jar -c0f postgresql.jar $(find postgresql -name "*.class" -print)
> SIGSEGV 11* segmentation violation
> stackbase=0xbffff360, stackpointer=0xbffff264

jar is broken on some JDK distributions (one of the 1.2 betas is broken
big time). Check to see if there is either:

* An older version of the JDK affecting this one - usually caused by old
shared libraries being used before new ones

* If a more recent version of 1.1.6 is available

I've just tested jar here (Linux JDK 1.1.6v? {not sure what version}) and
it didn't SIGSEGV.

[snip]

> I also tried to compile it on earlier version of JDK (1.1.3) with no
> results.

Hmmm, something is broken there. Until recently I've been using 1.1.3v2
for postgresql work since the 6.2 days.

> Can you help me with solving this problem? I'd like to start practising
> java&jdbc programming, but it's hard to do it without driver installed.

Don't forget to look at the examples... you'd be surprised at what you can
learn from other peoples code.

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk