Re: [INTERFACES] PostgreSql-users and passwords

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Elaine Arajo <elaine(at)compacto(dot)nexos(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] PostgreSql-users and passwords
Date: 1998-07-09 17:15:40
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

[only just saw this one was about java]

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Elaine Arajo wrote:

> I'm bening to work with Java an PostgreSql. When i try to access a
> database which is on the server using
> DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql://host:port/banco","user",
> "password"); an error occurs:"User authentication failed". Where do i
> configure users and passwords for my database in the Postgresql?

[ someone correct me as I can't confirm this yet (as I would normally do
when writing SQL) as I still yet to get postgres back up and running since
last weeks accident ]

If you log into the database as the DBA (usually postgres), you can then
create a normal user using a statement like:

mydb> CREATE USER peter WITH PASSWORD mypass ;

you can change their passwords with:

mydb> ALTER USER peter WITH PASSWORD mypass ;

Now once you have done that, you need to configure the pg_hba.conf file
(located in the PG_DATA directory). You will need to create an entry for
each database (or all for all of them) to allow remote clients access.

eg:

# This allows hosts on the 192.168.4.0 network access to all databases
host all 192.168.4.0 255.255.255.0 crypt

# This allows a single host access to the test database
host test 192.168.4.2 255.255.255.255 crypt

Hope that helps

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk or petermount(at)earthling(dot)net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk