Re: data dictionary?

From: Thomas Good <tomg(at)q8(dot)nrnet(dot)org>
To: Beth Gatewood <bethg(at)mbt(dot)washington(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: data dictionary?
Date: 2000-10-18 19:58:43
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Beth Gatewood wrote:

> Hi-
>
> New to PostGreSQL...previously used Oracle.
>
> Could someone please tell me where the Data Dictionary is located?
> Specifically, I want to get a list of tables. I know about the \dt
> command but I would like to see where this is actually stored (so that I
>
> can execute SQL against it).

Hi Beth,

SELECT * FROM pg_class;

is a good place to start when querying the system catalogue.
BTW, default tables (sys catalogue) are stored in:

/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1

Cheers,
Tom

SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
IS Coordinator / DBA Phone: 718-354-5528
Fax: 718-354-5056