Soundex functions for triggers?

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)altoplanos(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Soundex functions for triggers?
Date: 1999-03-15 15:43:53
Lists: pgsql-general

I live in an area with a lot of early French explorer influence therefore
may french names. I'm building a database for a website/directory of
businesses, organizations, attractions, etc. for the locals and visitors.
I'd like to handle miss-spellings or rather phonetic spellings for those
that have heard of Core da Lane but don't realize it's spelled Coeur
d'Alene.
I remember reading of a set of functions that convert words and phrases
into soundex thingy's. Using this set of functions I'd store a soundex
thingy so searches could be on this instead of the actual name.

Is anyone on the list aware of someone building these functions so they
are usable in triggers? (Of course I'm now thinking I've seen mention of
soundex being a part of PostgreSQL. Go figure!)
Any pointers or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Rod
--
Roderick A. Anderson
raanders(at)altoplanos(dot)net Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.