Re: [HACKERS] What about LIMIT in SELECT ?

From: Terry Mackintosh <terry(at)terrym(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What about LIMIT in SELECT ?
Date: 1998-10-14 17:41:24
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> What we could do is _if_ there is only one table(no joins), and an index
> exists that matches the ORDER BY, we could use the index to
> short-circuit the query.
>
> I have added this item to the TODO list:
>
> * Allow LIMIT ability on single-table queries that have no ORDER BY or
> a matching index
>
> This looks do-able, and a real win. Would this make web applications
> happier? If there is an ORDER BY and no index, or a join, I can't
> figure out how we would short-circuit the query.

Yes, this would do for most of my apps.
It may just be my lack of sophistication, but I find that most web apps
are very simple in nature/table layout, and thus queries are often on only
a single table.

Thanks
Terry Mackintosh <terry(at)terrym(dot)com> http://www.terrym.com
sysadmin/owner Please! No MIME encoded or HTML mail, unless needed.

Proudly powered by R H Linux 4.2, Apache 1.3, PHP 3, PostgreSQL 6.3
Success Is A Choice ... book by Rick Patino, get it, read it!