Re: [HACKERS] Connect string again

From: Peter T Mount <psqlhack(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)topsystem(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Connect string again
Date: 1998-05-26 17:56:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Michael Meskes wrote:

> A while ago we agreed to use DB names like the JDBC standard:

> Before I start working on libpq I would like to know which protocols it
> should accept. Is there a norm for this?
>
> Suggestions: sql, esql, pq, ecpg ...

pq seems to be a little too short to me.

I'd have thought sql, or libpq. ecpg could be used as well for clients
that use ecpg.

While thinking about this, an alternative could be the network protocol
being used, tcp or unix (although the server part of the url would be
ignored for this one).

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk or petermount(at)earthling(dot)net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk