Re: About GPL and proprietary software

From: Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb(at)eskimo(dot)com>
To: Doug Quale <quale1(at)charter(dot)net>
Cc: PgSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: About GPL and proprietary software
Date: 2003-09-02 13:52:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

I think the main issue in dynamic linking is whether or not you used the
GPL headers. If you did, then you are in fact combining your work with a
GPL work. If you did not, then how is one to know _which_ library you are
linking against. It could be the GPL library, but it could also be any
other library which exports the same symbols. If I link to Motif, I am
not obliging myself to the GPL just because Lesstif exists.

Jon