Re: Physical Database Configuration

From: Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb(at)eskimo(dot)com>
To: nolan(at)celery(dot)tssi(dot)com
Cc: shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Physical Database Configuration
Date: 2003-06-25 15:51:30
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

My solution did not involve tablespaces, but was more of a quick solution
to make it easier for admins to do _some_ sort of physical configuration.

The idea is that the developer could do something like

'create alternate location ALTERNATE_LOCATION_NAME for
DATABASE_OBJECT_NAME at "/PATH/TO/PHYSICAL/FILE";'

We would have a system table holding theses values. Then, all database
commands which create a file for an object, call open_object(oid,
object_name) or something to create the file object. This will first look
in the new system table to see if there is a mapping for an object of this
name. If so, it will create a symlink to "/PATH/TO/PHYSICAL/FILE" for the
oid before opening the file.

Anyway, if people are working on tablespaces, I'll defer to them. This
small fix is something that I might actually have time to do, but
tablespaces definitely not.

Jon