Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date: 2009-01-10 03:46:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

>> "." is on the long list of characters to be escaped I sent out earlier.
>
> I tried escaping the '.' but it didn't change the behaviour.

I did try that specific exapmle in Trac and it worked fine for me. Using
your test rig (which you gave the wrong URL to:
http://www.druid.net/darcy/rest.py ), I see this:

I. Test -> 1. Test
I\. Test -> I. Test

Which I think suggests escaping the period does what I was
expecting--stops the conversion into an enumeration. Which may not matter
anyway because...

> However, if you just add the backslash it won't work because the table
> will be malformed.

Right, in order for escaping everything to work, you need to escape the
text first, then figure out the table width lest it be malformed. I knew
that but didn't think through that it's no longer just a simple escaping
change at that point.