Re: Wiki CSS

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wiki CSS
Date: 2008-09-09 23:42:15
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, David Fetter wrote:

> The standard doesn't number them the way you're doing, and I need to be
> able to override it. Just to clarify, if somebody doesn't use actual
> HTML and the given classes for <li> tags, nothing will change.

I'm not familiar enough with CSS to say whether that's true or not. I do
suspect there was a way to accomplish this for a page without touching
common.css like that. I would have certainly asked that question here and
waited a while for feedback before touching anything.

What I am uncomfortable with is the way this page was edited. The
common.css file is cached by browsers for a long time. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Catalogue_of_CSS_classes for
comments about that. Looks like it was about three hours you experimented
there to get that right. It really bothers me that changes that impact
the whole site were made like that. Someone who happened to grab one of
your intermediate files during that period is stuck with that one for the
next month unless they know the proper reload trick. What if you'd have
accidentally broken something?

I personally would never touch common.css with an untested change on this
Wiki. I have a private MediaWiki installation I use for experiments like
that, and I'd only roll out a system-wide change on the PG Wiki that had
been confirmed to work there first. In this case, I don't think you
actually did any harm, but the way this all happened is not something I'd
like to see repeated.