Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Asko Oja <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date: 2008-08-29 03:18:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> I think we should probably confine ourselves to output formats that are in
> very wide use or we'll be supporting a vast multitude. CSV and XML both
> qualify here - not sure that ReST does.

ReST is accepted by Trac, one of the more popular SCM+Project Management
tools available. And the Python Docutils package is pretty popular too,
with a growing infrastructure of packages springing up around it. For
example, it's trivial to take the ReST document, feed it through Sphinx
(the tool used to generate the Python documentation nowadays:
http://sphinx.pocoo.org/ ) , and turn the result into HTML, LaTeX, or PDF
files.

IMHO, while there are a ton of them out there (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_markup_language ), there are only
two text markup languages besides HTML and XML-based ones that really
matter nowadays: ReST and the Mediawiki format.

I just checked D'Arcy's original table and it imports perfect into the
Trac system I use every day as valid rst code. Myself and at least
another half dozen people I work with would love to see that supported as
an output format--if the change isn't too obtrusive to the code base, of
course, which it doesn't sound like it is.