Re: How to submit a patch

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to submit a patch
Date: 2008-04-19 09:01:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Based on my observations, there's basically three different workflows a patch
> can follow (assuming the patch gets committed in the end)

This list was so good that I used it as the basis for a new page on the
wiki: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch

I just did a big cleanup of the whole developer's area there. Rather than
the nested mess there before, there's now a fairly complete entry page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information

That should have the majority of what most people are looking for. The
previous "project management" page was collapsed into the above. There's
still a "Development projects" subpage there, but that's fairly specific
to people who know what they're looking for I think. The "March
Commitfest" section might be slimmed down a bit after the May one is
better defined.

One small change I'd suggest on the main site:
http://www.postgresql.org/developer/coding links to
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_and_Contributor_Resources which
is now a redirect to the above page. I separated out the advocacy
contributors to their own section which made the longer title unneeded.
It would be nice one day to change that to use the shorter
Development_information URL instead. It would also be worth considering a
direct link to that URL in the manual, I believe it will remain stable
now.