Re: Strange behavior: pgbench and new Linux kernels

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Jeffrey Baker <jwbaker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange behavior: pgbench and new Linux kernels
Date: 2008-04-17 18:15:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Jeffrey Baker wrote:

> This has been discussed recently on linux-kernel.

Excellent pointer, here's direct to the interesting link there:

Ingo's test system has 16 cores and dives hard at >32 clients; my 4-core
system has trouble with >8 clients; looks like the same behavior. And it
seems to be fixed in 2.6.25, which just "shipped" literally in the middle
of my testing last night. Had I waited until today to grab a kernel I
probably would have missed the whole thing.

I'll have to re-run to be sure (I just love running a kernel with the
paint still wet) but it looks like the conclusion here is "don't run
PostgreSQL on kernels 2.6.23 or 2.6.24". Good thing I already hated FC8.

If all these kernel developers are using sysbench, we really should get
that thing cleaned up so it runs well with PostgreSQL.