Re: FAQ on Embedding Postgres

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FAQ on Embedding Postgres
Date: 2008-03-06 00:16:26
Lists: pgsql-docs
I think it's funny to consider a specific recommendation for SQLite as
being out of line when you look at the history here.  The whole reason
that software even exists is because of the difficulty of using PostgreSQL
in this context.  See http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6650

With that in mind, after gobbling up a good mix of earlier suggestions
here and editing a bit I think it's completely reasonable to write this:

"Q:  How can I embed PostgreSQL inside another program?

A:  PostgreSQL is designed with a client/server architecture that makes it
difficult to embed this way.  There are other open source databases you
might consider that are better suited for embedded usage, such as SQLite
which was designed for that purpose."

Now there's no obligation to mention Firebird/MySQL/etc. because that's
not in fact what they were originally designed for (there's not enough
angry Derby users to worry about them), and this satisfies the idea I
support that you give people some idea where they might look instead.